Traditional pain management has always used opioid medications.
But there is a severe downside to the regular use of opioid prescriptions - they are highly addictive and prone to being abused.
The Department of Health and Human Services reported that 9.9 million people aged 12 or older misused prescription opioids throughout 2018.
Of those, 699,000 were between the ages of 12 and 17.
Despite this, and because of how successful they are in relieving pain, many physicians do not think twice about prescribing opioids to their patients.
Unfortunately, this practice leads to millions of addiction cases per year…
…and patients are often worse off when they are addicted to opioids than they were dealing with pain.
So, we focus on Conservative Pain Management treatment.
We know we can help treat and manage whatever pain you are having without having to immediately resort to prescription opioids.
We have a diverse list of possible treatments strategies, but some of the most common are the:
- Development of an aerobic exercise regimen
- Teaching different types of stretching and massages that can relieve pain
- Prescription of non-opioid, non-addictive coadjuvant medications such as NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, and nerve medications
- Use of manipulative therapy like osteopathic adjustments and physical or chiropractic therapy
- Use of standard physical therapy sessions
- Use of treatment modalities including transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), ultrasound, hot packs, and cold therapy
Through these strategies, we have helped countless patients work through their pain without the risks of opioid medications.
It is a lot more work than writing a prescription and sending you on your way, but our goal is to understand your pain and find the healthiest and safest long-term treatment option.
If there is any way to achieve that goal with a conservative approach, then Foothills Pain Management Clinic will find it.